Sunday, August 2, 2009

Forever We Shall Still Remember...





Insecurity… suppression of freedoms... fears... killings... rape...environmental catastrophes...
Those are few of the terms associated with "war" & "Invasion"...
Today marks the 19th anniversary of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, & till this very day the wounds are still present...
We will always remember this day & that painful memory as it's our duty to never forget such a horrific history. Writing about this aching past on this particular day of each year does not mean that we only remember the invasion just on this very day. That sorry memory is never out of our minds regardless of whether we talked about it or not. It is forever deeply carved in our hearts & souls.
I’ve always been open about how much I hate to talk about politics... a huge part of that hatred I'm sure is an effect of the invasion. Ever since that hurtful event, I’ve always hated to be reminded of it, & worked hard to avoid anything that would help me recall that time, including special TV shows, series, theatrical plays, articles in newspapers, & the history/political related educational lessons in our text books.
But regardless of me wanting desperately not to be reminded, I refused at the same time to forget about it. How could I? How could anyone ever forget, no matter how hard it is to remember all that pain? I was only 6, so some might say that I was too young to really know how hard it was, & that I barely remember. I hate it when they say that. Because, even if I was 6, & even if I really didn’t know what was really going on as to my child mind couldn’t really muster the meaning of “War” & invasion”, I still could “feel” the pain. I could feel it reflected on me.
I could still sense the fear my little heart felt whenever I heard a loud bang in the air… whenever a chopper flew nearby, & whenever I heard something bad was going to happen…
I remember being afraid of being in the garden to play on the swings for fearing that a rocket might land on my head all of a sudden as I was playing…
I could remember wondering who those Iraqis were & why were they here…
I could remember my mom recalling another name besides Saddam of another hater who also wanted to invade Kuwait in the 60s…
I remember not being able to go out & visit relatives all throughout the invasion time…
I remember feeling sad & worried (even though I couldn’t really comprehend it) over my cousin who was taken as a POW on this very day…
Those are just a bunch of many upsetting memories I have…
& they say I can’t remember?!
Those scattered terrifying scenes hear & there were & are enough for me to forever recall that sad history… & to never forget…




*****










------------------------------------

Links:





2 comments:

  1. i'm glad you're writing about this... it's part of the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u my dear :)

    yes, ur right. i always feel better writing (& talking) about it. it is indeed part of the healing process. i will always keep writing about it until God says not to anymore...
    I shall always keep the memory alive for generations to come.

    ***

    btw, translation of the little pic at the bottom, is "Kuwait for Kuwaitis", & the title of the video is "So that we do not forget Iraq's invasion of Kuwait 1990"

    i shall add that in the post itself.

    btw, what do u think of that bird pic? i specifically chose this pic (& always should) as one of the significant reminders of the invasion. the look on that bird is priceless. the video (there's a video too, but i still havent found it yet) speaks even more...

    helpless little beautiful creatures... even those could not be saved from inhumanity...
    it just breaks my heart every time i see those birds all covered in oil helplessly trying to survive...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails